Being able to cook is a great skill to have. And whilst it can sometimes feel like a chore to adults, it’s an exciting and fun activity for children. So, put on an apron, take a look at our list of basic cooking skills and have some fun!
1. Buttering a slice of bread.
2. Cracking eggs by tapping the centre of the egg over the rim of a small bowl, and then using thumbs to pull the two halves apart.
3. Decorating fairy cakes or biscuits – spreading on the icing or butter icing and then adding the sprinkles, toppings.
4. Kneading and rolling out dough using a rolling pin.
5. Cutting shapes out using cookie cutters.
6. Using a sieve – by holding the sieve over a larger bowl and gently shaking.
7. Cutting soft fruit or vegetables, such as a banana, with a non-sharp knife.
8. Grating cheese – especially good if you’ve got a rotary grater.
9. Crushing biscuits for bases in a plastic bag with a rolling-pin.
10. Rubbing in butter and flour for crumble.
11. Crushing garlic in a garlic press.
12. Greasing cake tins.
13. Mashing fresh fruit with the back of a fork.
14. Mashing potato with a potato masher.
15. Peeling vegetables with a vegetable peeler.